PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Criminal conviction (spent) + Airline Employment?
Old 8th Jun 2016, 06:07
Flyboat North

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Act were you actually prosecuted under

From Victoria Australia very much British based law & most other things

In Vict if you had a low range DUI generally you would be prosecuted under the road traffic act , not the crimes act

A low range DUI would not be regarded as a "criminal offence" in Victoria , in the more general sense when they say "crime" they are talking about violence , drugs , & dishonesty offences ,not a marginally over the limit DUI.

So I wouldn't be interpreting the word "criminal" in a highly technical sense on a job application , as I don't think that is what they are asking. As if they were if you contested a small speeding fine (instead of paying on the spot penalty) in court & lost the case. You would technically have a "criminal record" but that is in a highly technical sense & in my view isn't what they are asking

In any case isn't one of the primary reasons for a spent conviction program , so that you do not have to declare trivial or historic matters to most employers

Know this is from Aust but we did a copy & paste of UK law. You should ask an experienced criminal solicitor or a few

Remember "criminal" involves a " mens rea" or guilty conscience & intent to commit a crime. How does mistakenly driving when 0.06 fit that

Crime is Violence, Drugs / Dishonesty

Think the advice above complete bollocks

You shouldn't be relying on legal advice from BB heroes