PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - off strip landings
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2016, 00:50
Squawk7700

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts
About time the OWT's about bricks and tins of beans thrown out the window, in relation to beach and/or salt pan ops were put to bed. I call bull****. Everyone has got/heard a similar story, no one I know would dare base their judgement on something so small, thrown (illegally!!!) from an aircraft in flight. Absolute fecking nonsense.
A mate used to carry a couple of bricks on board and throw one out the door to check the surface first. I remember he did it once and the brick went straight down and was nowhere to be seen so we didn't land there!
Nonsense you say? My experience was not made up. Jack Smith's lake in the RAAF East Sale training area back in the MBZ days.

Some are out there living the dream and experiencing fun flying, landing on beaches, dry lakes, bush tracks and other fun places, whereas others are sitting at their computers posting in disbelief. One of the best places I've flown into wasn't an airport - a group of us was flying from Narromine to Melbourne, then spotted a Winnebago next to a nice horseshoe bend in a river, so the aircraft with the biggest tundras dropped into the paddock first to ask them if it was ok for us to camp there, then the rest of us dropped in. They offered us dinner, conversation, a campfire and a fun night. We offered them a flight in return. This is what private flying is all about. Fun and free - free from over regulation and the nay-sayers.

Last edited by Squawk7700; 8th Jun 2016 at 01:03.