PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apache Tail Rotor Failure
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2016, 21:41
Paul Cantrell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hughes500: Why would you want a cross wind, tried it with various types and have found that nose into wind is much better
Interesting because I've done several thousand in Robinson, Enstrom, and Bell and I tend to like the results more with the crosswind than a headwind for most of them.

I use three different methods depending on the situation:

1) A fairly fast running landing with a level off a few feet above the surface and a deceleration until the nose starts to swing due to torque. (i.e. a pretty standard tr/fail technique).

2) An aggressive deceleration about 10 feet above the surface, use power to stop all ground motion (kind of turns into a sideways flare) and then a hovering auto (I like this one for landing on surfaces that won't allow sliding, like a swamp)

3) An autorotation to touchdown using a bit of torque at the bottom to get the skids to align.

I like the left crosswind on the first two, headwind on the last (makes it easier to zero out the groundspeed for touchdown).

For a low inertia system, I tend to like the first two more... In the R22 #1 was good if you had pavement to slide onto, #2 was better for uneven surfaces.