PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apache Tail Rotor Failure
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2016, 12:28
John R81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Training tail rotor failure in the 120 that's how it goes. Make a dummy approach and bleed speed until she just starts to yaw, then fly away - adding speed and power, then repeat the approach just above the yaw speed you found for run-on landing, steer with the throttle when the skids touch down.

I can also say that if you don't arrest the yaw quickly (and lose the aerodynamic wing effect of the tail) then despite having several tries we could not fly-out back to straight / level, and could not add power to climb without losing out to the torque. We were left almost broadside-on to the direction of flight, high drag preventing speed gain. With me at the controls, then unless I can find height to drop the lever and get straight again (fly off a cliff, perhaps?), it looked like I would either land at 50knt whilst sideways (and roll to destruction) or try so hard that she would get into a true spin (into the ground / trees / whatever was underneath at the time). As this was just training, we terminated the exercise and used a significant amount of right boot to bring her back into trim.

Interested to hear if anyone has managed to recover from such a spin by flying out under power without using the tail rotor.