PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sky Demon & iPad. Successes, not grumbles.
Old 7th Jun 2016, 09:21
cjm_2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cjm, I completely understand how you feel you're cheating, and so do I. After all planning a flight shouldn't be that quick and easy should it?
It shouldn't !

The CFI at the club I did most of my training at gave me a mission for my first flight as a qualified pilot just over a fortnight ago - fly to Enstone & back (from Membury) via the Brize CTR, as an opportunity to practice RT.

Skydemon gave me instant situational awareness - I had the half mill chart on board with the track lines drawn, but with a gps moving map I could tell exactly where I was.

Coming back I had to ask for a low level crossing due to cloud & was cleared via a specific route that would have taken me a little while to work out on the paper chart. It reduced the workload to the point where I could feel confident with looking out, flying the aircraft, and the RT, unstressed. I intend to carry on marking routes on the paper chart & maybe deliberately shutting my kneeboard so I have to go old school; but it's so re-assuring to know I can ascertain where I am with little doubt should I need to.