PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Hendon Battle of Britain hall closing
Old 7th Jun 2016, 09:20
Jimlad1

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I find it frustrating here to see people who are not curators, who have no experience of being museum curators, telling a curator how to do her job simply because she's not RAF. Its akin to a civilian with no flying experience, but an interest in aviation in general going to an RAF base and telling the Staish how to manage his flying programme.

We assume service leavers are capable of walking into almost any job via the resettlement process regardless of how little prior experience they have in that field, yet I think it is the height of institutional arrogance to assume that no one who is not RAF or former RAF could possibly understand how to curate a museum to do with the RAF.

For the record, I've been to Hendon once - I thought it was a fairly tired museum which desperately needed updating. I'd rather the museum focused more on the post cold War operations side in order to make people realise what we ask of potential recruits now, and give them a sense of what they could be doing in the future, rather than focus too heavily on a single event that happened 76 years ago which is of far less direct relevance operationally (not culturally) to todays Service.