PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalling lesson from a qualeval
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2003, 21:29
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Stalling lesson from a qualeval

I've been out of town for a couple of days evaluating a rather pretty little 2-seater "somewhere in central Europe". Many interesting things about it, but one or two with flight test lessons I've learned, one of which is worth sharing without (I hope) causing offence to anybody.

Stalling
Armed with a careful read-through of the POH I was expecting a benign stall and stalling speed around 50IAS, which was just on the certification limit. I actually got 45IAS and a rather vicious wing drop / possible incipient autorotation that was not mentioned in the data I'd reviewed and seemed to rather frighten the safety pilot (who also happened to be the designer).

On subsequent inquiry, the certification standard (a local code based upon the Canadian TP10141E requirements) required a stalling speed below 65kphCAS (which as it happens was 50 IAS). So, the local TPs slowed the aircraft down to about 64.9kphCAS, didn't hit a handling problem and therefore declared the stall speed as 65kphCAS with no wing drop. I've a bad feeling that I may have been the first person to take it to the para201 handling stall, arguably under circumstances I wouldn't normally wish to, but at least it had a recovery parachute fitted. (Interestingly they sell it, as a trainer, with a placarded limitation prohibiting deliberate stalling.)

The lesson I take from this is to beware "certification fudges" where excuses have been made by somebody, somewhere, for not properly exploring the handling envelope. (And to ask more searching questions before flying). I confess that it had not previously occurred to me that anybody would in an aircraft with no stall protection system do other than take an aircraft during certification testing to the full handling stall - but there you go, I've learned something.

Just thought I'd mention it.

G