PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 years later The Mildura report
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2016, 05:01
Lead Balloon

Received 419 Likes on 209 Posts
So if SPECIs are issued for e.g. Mildura, nobody is responsible for confirming that two RPT jets inbound to Mildura have received them? That seems odd to me.
The funny thing, is that this is a circumstance where a GA pilot might have done better. Because GA pilots don't have the same information resources a GA pilot would probably have pulled out the mobile phone and rung someone on the ground and gotten a higher quality answer than these pilots collectively got from our government air traffic and meteorological services.
That would be a dangerous practice, OA. Whenever I call the flying club's or refueller's number at my planned destination to find out what their eyes on the target are seeing, I aways give them comfort by saying: "As you will realise, I won't and can't believe anything you tell me." I of course only continue (or not) on the basis of official sources of information alone.

Funny thing is that the eyes on the target seem to be at least as reliable as the official sources ....