PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are gyros driven by vacuum and not high pressure air?
Old 6th Jun 2016, 21:44
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I hope so. Oddly, the other evening after posting on this thread, I found myself looking at some Pathe film that would never be shown to the public.

The British Eagle Viscount lost its electrics, and John Dawdy, probably following a cloud-break, snapped off the outer wings in a failed attempt to raise the nose. We were told then that the recorder wire was in 20,000 pieces.

I'd pictured the scene a thousand times, but the reality was quite different. Now I was looking at the FO's window and a bit of the roof. I'd spent many hours behind that glass. No punches were pulled in the photography the public were protected from. I suppose I must have taken a breath during the film but I felt as though time outside the scenes had stopped.

I'm mindful of the Egypt Air's hasty returns in the days leading up to the loss of the crash. The Eagle Viscount had a fault that no one could find - electrical intermittences are like that - but it had gone on a long time. One crew found themselves going into Malta at night not being able to see anything whatsoever, apart that is, from one bright red light telling them the electrics had failed. The captain (G Birch IIRC) told me he tried time and time again to reset the power, and suddenly it came on, I gather, just in time for the cloud break.

Different days, but even in our modern era electrical failures can be so subtle that they can lurk without revealing themselves for months. In those days, just one tiny physical fault, and now a fault and or a rouge digit lying fallow in seldom read code.