PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preventing the loss of pure flying skills in jet transport aircraft.
Old 6th Jun 2016, 19:48
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You suggest KISS. I totally agree. KISS. Why is there a perceived or real problem since the magic of EFIS, LNAV/VNAV & Auto-throttle arrived? The whole Children of the Magenta Line' concept. I flew for various airlines with these magic box of tricks. They didn't suddenly erode our skills. We used them every day in the same manner we used the old tech a/c, but it made the job easier and more accurate. That was very satisfying. The pilot orientated management expected it of their crews. Now all you get is don't crash, don't take too much fuel, don't be late, don't deviate from the encyclopedia of SOP's (at your peril), don't practice the black art of manual visual approaches.
The KISS answer is back to the future and restore the black arts every day. If managers aren't going to encourage that, which is free, they certainly are not going to be so charity minded as to provide a big boys toy simulator for your fun. That's impractical considering much of the problem is within airlines who have multitude of bases over the horizon.
It's a problem created by line culture and initial training and it will need to be solved there. The best solutions are those applied to the root causes.
I hate to think what will happen to taxi drivers, lorry drivers and coach drivers who need to navigate the jungle of inner cities after they've spent most of their time in 'drive themself vehicles' on mutli lane motorways. OMG. Manual control close to all those people. And don't start me on auto-parking v DIY.