PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2016, 19:46
eye2eye5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shed-on-a-Pole
Not denying the issues with T3, Skip. My own recent posting no.5122 acknowledges the capacity limitations there. I've been lobbying for a capacity increase at T3 for ages. However, T3 has seen improvements, particularly in the areas of security processing and queue-combing. Meanwhile, the new catering outlet I referred to in there is a 'best of breed' facility based on my considerable experience of transiting a wide selection of airports.

A well-managed business will always take on board measured constructive criticism. I don't shy away from this ... see my own comments ref the e.gates at UK Border in post 5111 three pages back. [Anyone know the answer to those questions, BTW?]. But I will call out mindless vitriolic bile for what it is ... that skytrax website beggars belief. It doesn't matter which UK airport thread you read (I didn't check the foreign ones), just a bunch of crazies marking 1/10 and denouncing everyone and everything. A "review" of that sort provides no meaningful guidance to anyone.
Shed, automation isn't always the answer. For instance, shopping at Aldi is a great example of efficient queue processing by humans which compares extremely favourably with humans interfacing slowly with machines at TESCO.

You quoted an e gate processing speed of 45 seconds - is that an average or does it only cover seasoned travellers who know what they are doing? How do they work with non seasoned, annual travellers ( I have witnessed chaos at AMS when last passing through, with individuals trying to use the e gates multiple times and failing). And the key question.....what is the average process g time by UK Border? I would be surprised if it was as long as 45 seconds, irrespective of the knowledge of the passenger. Maybe the real answer is more UK Border staff (laughable concept but maybe the right one).