PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cretin in the circuit
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2016, 19:26
Martin_123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I'm going to get a lot of noise out of this, but will ya get off your high horse for a moment? Sound's like the guy wasn't exactly in his comfort zone, I'm sure he learned his lesson, but do you honestly need to call him cretin (as per title?) Do you honestly think the way training happens these days it gives a lot of chance to even take in a fraction of the different variables that might come into play?

I have my own story - just a few hours after getting my PPL, did my first trip down to one of the Irish regional airports (zone C), landed no issue, had a nice day at the beach, came back and I was starting to consider, as per my training, what would I do in case the engine quits on take-off.. The problem was - runway direction led straight into Atlantic after take-off so you had to choose wisely which way you would go, what would you do should the engine quit. I was so focused on the runway direction in which I landed that I simply MISSED the fact that rather slack winds had made the controller happy enough to instruct me to enter the runway and taxy in the opposite direction.. After a short exchange we had a bit of laugh at my expense and I ended up turning back and finally taxying the right direction.

It takes at least 2 pilots to make VFR safe and if you honestly think confirmation bias is just some nonsense they use to plot documentaries, I think it's time for you to hit the good aul books.
DON'T discourage the young and the silly
and DO expect the unexpected.. it is his fault, but that doesn't make him a cretin, now does it?