PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preventing the loss of pure flying skills in jet transport aircraft.
Old 6th Jun 2016, 17:18
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the idea of glider flying, and might look into that. But how much does it cost and when would I have the time? Also, after a week of getting up at 0300, the last thing I want to do is more flying, and I think Mrs Uplinker might object!
I know what you mean. I have enough on with work and keeping home life afloat. I know most here, self included, are inclined to be Total Aviation Person minded and a bit of SEP/gliding to sharpen up the skills sounds great... but pilots doing things out due to a sense of vocation is one of the reasons the industry has gone the way it has.

Do surgeons spend spare time at weekends honing their skills by dissecting small animals? Do bank managers routinely spend evenings sharpening their arithmetical and analytical skills just in case they are presented with some difficult decisions at work?

Sorry to be controversial but if there is an industry problem then it's up to the industry to find the hours, kit, and the funding, we shouldn't be expected to take up a hobby to fix the problem....