PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preventing the loss of pure flying skills in jet transport aircraft.
Old 6th Jun 2016, 15:34
Uplinker

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts
This conclusion is typical of hindsight bias; humans tend to focus on the the last action or person involved in the event, thus constructing a cause based on the outcome.
Such thoughts, and being unable to remember, suggests that nothing was learnt from this incident, nothing that would apply to you ('you' in this sense is not personal, but generic; 'you' as individuals, operators, trainers, regulators, and manufacturers); i.e. it wouldn't happen to me
What I meant was; I couldn't remember the airline or the flight number or the date of the crash. However, I do remember that there seemed to be no monitoring of speed or energy - which is a fundamental and shocking piloting error - and which ultimately resulted in the crash.

I for one, am acutely aware that my skills are not as razor sharp as they were when I was handflying turbo props which only had manual thrust. So I think/hope that I do learn from such things - by them helping me stay reasonably pro-active in practising my skills when I can.

I think automation practice might be a red herring. If we all hand-flew more often, we should be better placed to recognise when the automatics were getting it wrong, (or have been wrongly programmed), because the system responses would be inconsistent with correcting the deviation(s) and we would then know to take over.

I like the idea of glider flying, and might look into that. But how much does it cost and when would I have the time? Also, after a week of getting up at 0300, the last thing I want to do is more flying, and I think Mrs Uplinker might object!

Last edited by Uplinker; 6th Jun 2016 at 15:50.