PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WATERFORD Airport
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2016, 20:47
PPRuNeUser0176

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If some sort of promtional money was to be provided to encourage a route from Waterford to the UK, which legal company would be paying the money (airpory, local Govt or central Govt in Dublin ?) and where would that money ultimately come from ?
I'm sure Govt in Dublin can find the cash given the political desire but I suspect Dublin will need a lot of persuasion. Will the residents of Waterford be prepared to see their local council spend the money or will locals decide they have had enough of pouring money into a potentially bottomless pit when Dublin airport is not so far away by road ?
It would be from central Gov via Tourism authorities if anything was paid especially for it to be legal in the eyes of Brussels.

The local council has been bailed out with 700,000 for this year with a further 450,000 shortfall after the Valuation Office decided to revalue properties owned public utilities which has resulted in 22 million drop in commercial rates nationwide each year for 2-4 years. Off course all this happened after 2016 budgets were passed.....the neighboring councils are similar it not worse.

Locals won't decide they had enough but they will also be realistic on what they pay for flights. They will pay more but not be ripped off.

Waterford has a strong representation in government, with a local independent in place, name escapes me, but runway extension at Waterford were part of his terms for going into government.

With current airfield limitations, and with a white sheet in terms of a plan to attract an airline, the best fit, with brand etc. Would have to be Aer Lingus Regional flying the Luton route...
He got next to nothing, the amount agreed once divided will be next to nothing. It also relies on the Gov lasting which most don't expect a budget will be passed in October