PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2016, 20:21
NigG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by savimosh01
I find this quote from Peter C Smith's "Jungle Dive Bombers at War" quite moving:
Savimosh

Oh thanks for that quotation, Sara... I wasn't aware Peter Smith wrote that. Actually the quote that really got to me was one written by Arthur's adjutant, Flt Lt Brian Lilly, and published in the 84 Squadron magazine after Arthur had left:

[Having known him for two years] I am not ashamed to confess that I had a lump in my throat when I watched him leave us for the last time. That day the Squadron lost a CO who perhaps had exerted a greater influence over its history than any of his predecessors. When he took over… he found himself in command of 132 men – all that remained of the disastrous adventure in the Far East – without aircraft, without equipment and without hope. His first objective was to prevent the squadron being disbanded… Having succeeded, he set himself the task of rebuilding 84 to its former levels of prestige and efficiency… despite many early difficulties and disappointments…

I had the opportunity to observe Arthur Gill at very close quarters. I saw an excellent pilot, a good leader and an able administrator, but the qualities which… harnessed my admiration, respect and loyalty, was his unselfish and unsparing interest in every man serving under his command. Few indeed realised the debt which members of the squadron owed to him. He rarely gave an order. His personal example was sufficient to invest a request with a greater authority. He praised his subordinates in the hour of success and in less happy times readily accepted responsibility. He was one of the most considerate men I have ever known. Perhaps it was a fault that made him do so many trivial jobs instead of insisting on others doing more for him. Despite the enormous amount of work that he did, he never refused to listen nor shirked an issue.

As I write I learn that that he has been awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. I know every man in the Squadron will join me in congratulations and best wishes that the future will hold more glittering prizes than the command of this Squadron – prizes that we know he so richly deserves.’

As well as being quite an accolade, this gives some insight into Arthur's character, and the loyalty he inspired during that time. As for 'more glittering prizes', I don't think they really came... commanding 84 Sqn was his most gratifying appointment in the RAF.

Last edited by NigG; 6th Jun 2016 at 20:04.