PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HondaJet pilot report?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2016, 12:01
what next

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda has a good backlog of orders, so there seems to be a market for it.
I believe that and I can understand that the HondaJet has a lot of appeal. In a country where 5000+ft long runways abound, it is certainly a good choice.
But not in my part of the world (which is why I wrote "around here"). We have lots of small regional airfields with runways between 3000 and 4000ft. Around here, a small jet must be capable to operate from those if you want to sell more than just a few. Dassault aircraft for example are specifically built with these runways in mind.

A TBM is almost as much. Without a loo. What would you rather have?
If my owner, employer or customer needs to fly to his holiday home on a mediterranean island which only has 3114ft of runway, there is not much choice, is there? As much as I would rather have that little jet, the TBM it's going to be... But if we make "unfair" comparisons (twin jet vs. turboprop single), how about this one: 5M$ buys you two freshly painted and upholstered Citation Bravos or Ultras with good engine times. Push one in the corner of your hangar and keep it for spares. The other one can fly in and out of "our" 3000ft runways with 8 people on board over more distance than the the Honda with just the pilots. And there is a toilet (no flowing water though). And the deal will leave you with a million $ of cash to buy the (little) extra fuel the Bravo needs for years and years to come.