PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 years later The Mildura report
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2016, 11:33
BuzzBox

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
That said, expect the Monday morning quarterbacks (ATSB) to pillory whatever decision you make based upon airmanship and the best information you have available at the time. Especially if doing otherwise might actually find the route cause of the issue and that route cause may lay the blame squarely at the feet of Airservices Australia or BoM or some other government organisation that might be an embarrassment to some politician somewhere. How long has it taken for this report to come out, three years?
The crux is, whatever decision made by the crew, they will always be criticised by a regulator more concerned with deflecting blame from its cosy mates in other government agencies rather than finding and fixing the real causes.

As much as we all love to bag the ATSB and other government bodies, are you not overlooking one tiny, but very important point? According to ICAO Annex 13:
"The sole objective of the investigation of an accident or incident shall be the prevention of accidents and incidents. It is not the purpose of this activity to apportion blame or liability."
In my view, the ATSB didn't blame the aircrew involved in this incident. Indeed, the safety issues that were raised were directed squarely at ASA and the BoM. My biggest gripe is that it took them so bloody long to release the report. I suspect that's mainly a resources issue, as sunnySA said earlier.

Last edited by BuzzBox; 5th Jun 2016 at 13:31.