PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging long-haul flying as an SO
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2016, 05:00
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I can't see how you can log anything unless you occupy the seat. Thats got to be common sense. For your own sense of what you've actually done, riding around in a horizontal position reading superman comics (or worse) doesn't count! The only exception being the PIC of course.
Soupnazi,
Personally I can't see how you can log anything unless you occupy the seat
That is a personal opinion ONLY!!

Thats got to be common sense.
izzaatso!!
If that is the case, when the Captain is having some time off. I guess the F/O can log the time as Pilot in Command??

Why is the Captain an exception?? You should be quite specific about legislating "exceptions", wouldn't want anybody logging hours, to which they are "entitled", would we.

ICAO Annex 1 doesn't mention exceptions.

Should the F/O log "P2 in command", maybe.

Just about every aircraft is now certified two pilot, so how would you like to recognise a (company) requirement for additional pilots to be on the flight deck for "extra eyes", during arrival and departure, climb and descent -- and have different rules for logging where the company FCOM doesn't have a specific requirement, or vary it, depending on the use the individual PIC makes of additional crew.

Make it really complicated, with vast new "regulations" and lots of enforceable definitions, and, of course, audit the whole lot, with a bunch of of new "strict liability criminal offences" --- so very Australian, bureaucratic to the nth degree, and having absolutely no bleeding relationship to aviation safety outcomes.

The thing about "common sense" is that it is so uncommon.

The whole fallacy of these very precious and anal "Australian" arguments about logging time, is that a log book is a record of experience, but the value of the experience, the measure of "experience" in not only the hours count.

When I look at the log book of a potential recruit, what I see is what he/she has done, where he/she has been, and the case of very long range flights, on which they have been a crew member, it is of far more significance that they have done it, than whether they log Singapore -London and 7 hours S/O-P3, or Singapore- London and log 14 hours S/O-P3.

As to any "promotional criteria", what about competency standards?? Isn't competency what really counts.

Tootle pip!!