PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 years later The Mildura report
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2016, 23:36
IsDon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the crew had of decided upon an auto land in ADL (of course that option was taken away from them once they were misled by BoM, a U/S AWIS and ATC into a diversion to MIA) they would have no doubt been criticised, once again, by the Monday morning quarterback (ATSB).

While not technically legal, given the circumstances, an auto land off a Cat 1 ILS is a far better option than landing below minima off an RNAV non precision approach. Could you imagine the outcome of this incident had it happened during the days before runway aligned RNAV approaches? I doubt a landing off a VOR approach would have ended as well as it did. Although, in the days before GPS we also has a far more robust system of competent ATC/BoM and functioning infrastructure such that this incident probably wouldn't have happened in the first place.

The crux is, whatever decision made by the crew, they will always be criticised by a regulator more concerned with deflecting blame from its cosy mates in other government agencies rather than finding and fixing the real causes.

I think we here are all in agreement though that the crews of both aircraft did a remarkable job, in extremely stressful conditions which were not of their own making, to safely deliver their aircraft, crew and passengers to terra firma. I'm sure those on board are grateful of your skills.