PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 4th Jun 2016, 23:29
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Route Burgling ?

Null - "My swansong from A Line (and the RAF) was also supposed to be a global, in a westerly direction, BUT --- somebody in the ground engineers section burgled my route ! " - I doubt that a Ground Engineer ever took a route from an SVC, most GEs would be more than grateful for the rest mate ! Wherever the destination, after a couple of years, a route is a route ........ I never did a global in 7 years as a GE, perhaps my ugly mush didn't appeal to my boss. I did loads of Banner A and B's over Christmas grants though, being one of only a few GEs who lived on "the patch" at the time. And not to forget the aircrew who flew those trips too. I left my job as a GE because of an airborne accident that meant I could not do my job properly anymore. I was never given a a"swansong" and never believed I was entitled to one. Here's a story from my time as a Sgt rigger on A line B Shift;

I arrived back on the Herk fleet and was posted to ALSS B shift which was one of the best postings I had in 30 years of service. After a few months on shift, our shift Flt Sgt asked if anyone was interested in doing an SVC slot on a Goose flyer. A night stop Goose bay and back. The trip would take place in our off shift time, so basically, it was giving up my own time. No one volunteered, so, as the new boy, I did. Anyway, the night before the trip set off the GE who I was accompanying called me and said that the route had been revitined, we were to take an engine change team to Bermuda to recover a broken frame. With a B line engine change team on board I asked if there was a need for me. Get on board, Do what I tell you and enjoy the trip he said. Well, night stop Gander, 3 days in Bermuda and get back to work for the last of our four nights shift. I was amused at the reaction of my fellow tradesmen on shift, who all pointed out that, as I was a "new boy" I should have informed the shift boss of the change of route once I knew of it, so that "more deserving" shift members could go.

Many GE's spent their time doing Deci Scheds, Banners and Gander flyers. I never heard one complain. As a "linie" I would never have expected a "right" to a "swansong"! Sorry if I come across as somewhat bitter, I'm not really, I just wonder who the GE was who stole your swansong. As I recall it was the job of the GE to accompany the aircraft down route, if Group said it was a 2 GE route, then the boss put 2 GEs on it, I believe most long range routes, as was the one I and Tucker Thompson accompanied Dougie on to Australia, were designated as 2 GE routes, is that what you call Burgling ? OK, rant over, no offence meant Null and apologies in advance for biting, keep on posting guys.

Smudge