PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2016, 16:31
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scope for Expansion of E.Passport Gate Capability?

Having arrived back at MAN through T1 again earlier this week afew observations re the UK Border e.gates spring to mind.

Firstly, it is notable that the bulk of passengers now appear at ease with using the technology. Afew had problems, but not many. And the vast majority of passengers now possess passports which are compliant with the technology. But this has conspired to make the e.gates a victim of their own success. In T1 and T3 they're overwhelmed by the sheer weight of demand. Probably in T2 as well, though its a while since I've had a chance to check progress there. The problem now is that the 'quick' e.passport route is now by far the slowest option with most arriving pax eligible to use the machines and each individual transaction taking approximately 45 seconds. A bank of five e.gates is woefully insufficient to cope with demand from the entirety of T1 traffic.

So ... some questions (because I don't know the answers!).

How much does it cost to install and maintain an e.passport booth? Is this cost borne by HMG or MAG?
Is the equipment readily available on the open market?
Can the UK Border layout at the terminals be optimised to allow a bank of say 25 units per terminal?
Are there any union or working practices limitations capping the use of this new technology to protect Border Force jobs?

If the above issues can be resolved at reasonable cost, it would make sense to significantly enhance e.passport reader capability at MAN's three terminals. The technology has generally proven itself now, but the small number of cubicles has itself become the biggest impediment to timely arrival at MAN.

One little aside from the above ... a ten minute delay attaching the airbridge combined with the bottleneck at the e.gates meant that my flight-number had already been time-outed from the baggage reclaim displays by the time we made it through. Fortunately, we eventually found our bags mingling with those from a later-arriving Lufthansa MUC flight!

Any UK Border experts in a position to respond? Thanks.