PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preventing the loss of pure flying skills in jet transport aircraft.
Old 4th Jun 2016, 14:22
Uplinker

Received 106 Likes on 64 Posts
So about two manually flown ILS's or visual approaches per month. That seems reasonable, and three per six months would appear to be entirely possible?

Hi RAT, I don't want to get bogged down with the autoland thing, but the form I am talking about was a personal record of our autolands, and all we did was record the date when we performed an autoland or a practice autoland; which airport, what the wind was and the general weather conditions. I have just had a look, but I can't find mine right now and can't remember what its CAA form number was - maybe it was only a company form. We did not assess the autoland quality, merely that we ourselves had performed one. This is not to be confused with the 'unsatisfactory autoland performance' form that you might be thinking of?

I am suggesting the same sort of form, but instead of autolands, we would record our own manually flown approaches.

They would argue that nothing was broke so no need to fix it. Their safety record would be their defence.
.....and totally unnecessary crashes due to bad manual handling such as the San Fransisco 777 (can't remember the details) and all the others would be our answer.

Last edited by Uplinker; 4th Jun 2016 at 14:37.