PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Helena Service
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2016, 09:29
mathy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Governor announces that WHBM has said a Wellington can land on St Helena.

Seriously Porto Santo and Madeira are bad enough! I would counsel SHG to exchange a bit of kitty litter for more concrete.

All the computer models in the world can only do so much for the real model is twelve inches to the foot and is called St Helena. Anyone who has set foot on Prosperous Plain knows exactly what the problems are. Short runway, rapidly changing wind speed and direction.

So before you build, if build you must, drive in two pegs, have solid
concrete all the way between them, mark the touchdown zones and anything left over is RESA. Don't bleat "but it must be 240 metres". Needs must when the devil drives. Under extenuating circumstances it can be less and in many remote areas it is less, Norfolk Island for example where I have stood with the station manager watching
four windsocks streaming in four different directions.

Their problem is exactly the same, to get people in and out, to foster tourism and have as much runway as the geography can provide. The answer is not to maximise the RESA by minimising the runway. That is like Paddy who landed athwart in smoke and dust and marvelled at the width but complained about the length.

Only an idiot puts his left foot in the right shoe. It is left foot in the CORRECT shoe. In other words Rules and How to Interpret Them.

You wonder who made the decision in the first place... about the shoes I mean. Any fool can build an airport in the wrong place. Someone just did.