PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preventing the loss of pure flying skills in jet transport aircraft.
Old 4th Jun 2016, 09:05
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
especially if it were a requirement of the XAA. This should not cost anything to do either, and whatever we do has to be accepted by the airlines as well as the pilots. So ideally it needs to be easy and cost free.

Given that some airlines encourage, actively, the development and maintenance of manual piloting skills, and some don't, the change in attitude of the latter may need a tickle of encouragement from an XAA. However, for that encouragement to be published, the XAA (EASA/FAA to make it equal for all) would need to acknowledge 'there is a problem'. I don't think pilots would object, but the blinkered airlines would howl in protest and 'being interfered with' where they believe there is no problem. They would argue that nothing was broke so no need to fix it. Their safety record would be their defence.
Regarding logging autolands: not only are they logged, but the accuracy & performance of the a/c and airport is assessed. Logging a raw data visual/ILS approach would also need an assessment of its calibre. Who does that? You or your colleague?