PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preventing the loss of pure flying skills in jet transport aircraft.
Old 3rd Jun 2016, 20:29
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiggy. I understand and sympathise. Finding a 'fits all' solution is never easy. It's like FTLs. One size does not fit all. I heard of problems in one long haul heavy crew operator. The SFO's were rostered as safety/cruise pilots with the newbies. The captain needed recurrency landings, plus autolands, and the newbies need experience. This the SFO's had naff all handling time. Then came their command upgrade process. they were rusty as hell and some failed. Their fault? No.
What troubles many of us is the lack of skills in the short haul market. There, there are no mitigating circumstances other than company culture. There is opportunity enough. The fact that it is not taken, or is to allowed, is the root cause of the problem. One could argue who needs the skill more, the multi-sector short-haul minor-airport ILS/NPA pilot or the few-sector, long-haul, major airport ILS autoland pilot. They are different animals. Both should have the basic skills, but who need them more on a daily basis?