PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway distance available on landing
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2000, 03:35
Classic

Question Runway distance available on landing

I may be being a bit dim here, but I have a question that I can't find the answer to in the manuals or my old ATPL notes.

On a recent landing on a shortish runway in the USA, I was planning to use the full length of the runway available to me, and I thought I could use the distance to go marker boards down the side to give me my awareness of speed versus runway length available. However, the runway had an inset threshold in the reciprocal direction. As we approached these piano keys, with plenty of black tarmac and continued runway lighting beyond, the captain insisted that I stop and turn off before we passed the piano keys, although the marker boards still showed 1500 feet to go from there. He said we could not use the runway beyond the piano keys (except in emergency as the stopway).

It was the end of a long flight so I didn't feel like discussing the point in depth and I accepted his judgement. I believed however that I could use the runway beyond the upcoming inset threshold and as shown by the marker boards until I reached the end of the runway as indicated by the red lights across the end of the tarmac. Who was right?

[This message has been edited by Classic (edited 13 November 2000).]