PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preventing the loss of pure flying skills in jet transport aircraft.
Old 3rd Jun 2016, 17:59
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
@wiggy, Well that is for the XAA's to say, not me. We used to have to perform and record 3 practice autolands every 6 months, of which 2 could be flown in the SIM, so I would have thought that was enough opportunity in 6 months for even the long-haul only pilots?
I'm not sure where logging autolands comes into it (other than it was about the only thing that we did/ do on the line that we have to log for the XAA.

I'm simply not sure you can set a target/monthly/three monthly requirement to log certain types of handling exercises and approaches on the aircraft as was done "back in the day", certainly in an organisation I flew for, where you'd get ***** by the stats officer and boss if you hadn't flown your two simulated engine out SRAs for the month.

I apologise for teaching to suck eggs etc, but at a rough guess where I work many of the Long Haul P2s might only get a shot at get 2-3 approaches in a average month. Obviously (?) not all of those approaches can be hand flown e.g. because of Ops manual restrictions for approaches in weather close to Cat 1 limits, increasing frequency of RNAV approaches ( BTW another recurrent sim box tick that uses up time but adds nil to hand flying practise) etc.

Given the amount of exposure my colleagues get it's not uncommon, especially in the winter months, to fly with pilots who haven't hand flown an ILS for several months, and it's not been down to laziness.

I actually think they mostly do remarkably well given the lack of opportunity for hand flying........

Last edited by wiggy; 3rd Jun 2016 at 18:22.