PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Incident in Beauvais?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2003, 01:39
skijan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Braun/Remington screen idea is a very good idea (certainly for ground runs), and has been around for yonks. I've got photos of B58's in the 1950's with screens fitted in front of the intakes, although this was more of an anti-FOD measure, and I'm sure there was a photo in Uncle Roger's column in 'Flight' a few years ago showing an early jet (F86?) with a wire mesh contraption in front of the intake.
There was a tragic accident at Hatfield in the early 90's when an engineer was totally ingested into the No 2 engine of a 146 during a high power test run. The aerodynamicists said that it was theoretically impossible for someone to be lifted vertically off the ground - I think the bottom lip of No 2 must be about six feet off the ground. Wasn't long before the factory made up a set of moblle mesh cages which could be wheeled in front of engines on test.
If it can happen 'up and over' on a 146, then it's a wonder there aren't more accidents with the 'straight through' engine position on a 737. Just be vigilant, don't let familiarity breed contempt, and watch out for the insidious management pressure to cut costs, time and manpower. The ba****ds can kill you while sitting in their office!