PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 3rd Jun 2016, 08:52
nowherespecial

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
In case any of you haven't seen this EAD yet: (apologies for cack copy paste)

F L I G H T P R O H I B I T I O N
Manufacturer(s):
Airbus Helicopters (formerly Eurocopter, Eurocopter France, Aerospatiale)

Applicability:
AS 332 L2 and EC 225 LP helicopters, all manufacturer serial numbers.

Reason:
Following a fatal accident that occurred in Norway to an EC 225 LP helicopter, indicating in-flight detachment of the main rotor hub from the main gearbox (MGB), EASA issued Emergency AD 2016-0089-E to require, as a precautionary measure, the accomplishment of one-time inspections. Investigation is on-going to identify the root cause of this accident.

The review of the data reported in accomplishing AD 2016-0089-E, revealed installation findings for the MGB upper deck fittings of the three MBG suspension bars. Prompted by these findings, EASA issued superseding AD 2016-0103-E for further inspection and replacement instructions for correct installation of the MGB suspension bars and attachment fittings.

Soon after EASA AD 2016-0103-E was issued, a second preliminary report from the investigation board indicated metallurgical findings of fatigue and surface degradation in the outer race of a second stage planet gear of the MGB epi-cyclic module. At this time, it cannot be determined if this is a contributing causal factor or subsequent failure from another initiating factor.

Pending further investigation to determine the root cause(s) of the reported damage, and development of mitigating measures by Airbus Helicopters, EASA has decided, as an additional precautionary measure, to temporarily ground the fleet.

For the reason described above, this AD prohibits flight of the AS 332 L2 and EC 225 LP helicopters .
Required Action(s) and Compliance Time(s):

Required as indicated, unless accomplished previously.
(1) From the effective date of this AD, do not operate any AS 332 L2 and EC 225 LP helicopter, except as specified in paragraph (2) of this AD.
(2) A single ferry flight without passengers is allowed to a maintenance location where the helicopter grounding, as required by paragraph (1) of this AD, can be accomplished in adequate storage conditions.

Note: Pursuant to Art.1 (2) (a) of Regulation (EC) 2016/2008, the requirement of paragraph (1) of this AD does not apply to EC 225 LP helicopters while carrying out military, customs, police, search and rescue, firefighting, coastguard or similar activities or services.

Last edited by nowherespecial; 3rd Jun 2016 at 10:44.