PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 4
Thread: Jet2 4
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2016, 05:38
Callum Paterson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DjerbaDevil
There are 6 based aircraft at Glasgow at present and seems the same for 2017 Summer. Judging from the present summer 2017 pogramme of flights, all the 6 based aircraft are required during 6 days of the week during high season and only on Tuesdays do they only require 5 aircraft.
Thanks for your detailed reply, DjerbaDevil.

With 6 based Boeing 737-800s including the Air Europa aircraft I believe this makes Glasgow one of Jet2's largest bases in terms on aircraft and overall capacity. However when looking at the number of destinations served, with 29 Glasgow has the second smallest route network. Only Belfast has less.

This could suggest that the routes on offer from Glasgow operate on a frequency higher than that of the average Jet2 route?

Even with daily flights and in some cases more which do offer good flexibility to passengers I'd personally like to see more destinations offered. With such a small route network from Glasgow in comparison to other Jet2 bases it does appear there are plenty of non-served destinations for Jet2 to grow to from its Glasgow base with the aforementioned Thessaloniki and Almeria being two.

Originally Posted by A350Saltire
There are 6 based aircraft at Glasgow at present and seems the same for 2017 Summer. Judging from the present summer 2017 pogramme of flights, all the 6 based aircraft are required during 6 days of the week during high season and only on Tuesdays do they only require 5 aircraft.
I have to disagree with you. While some passengers in Glasgow and the West may accept using EDI, they will be the absolute bargain hunters and thus generating very little yield for the airline. A similar demographic to the passengers from across Scotland who travel to Manchester to save a tenner.

For the vast majority including myself its a case of fly direct from Glasgow or take a connection via a hub. I fly more times in a year than I care to count and not once have I ever looked at flying from Edinburgh. Nothing against the airport or the city. But with a perfectly good airport on my doorstop serving all destinations, direct or by one-stop, I'm going to use it.