PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AH-64 Tail Rotor Loss Article
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2016, 05:01
The Cryptkeeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotate Too Late, spot on.

I was Nick's SQHI at 654 prior to this tour (I was leaving the mob) - an extremely capable pilot and OC.

Those of you that have pointed out a slight run on are correct, to achieve a zero speed auto in an AH into a dusty desert would be a miracle! It was quite simply an incredible bit of flying. The TADS footage of his stationary tail rotor from his Wing is eerie to say the least.

Just to clarify, no official training manual or RTS states that a safe landing from an auto after TR failure would be impossible! Experience in the simulator with the current flight model suggested it would be pretty difficult and advocates a high speed run on to maximise the effect of the tail fin of the aircraft to keep it straight - I think this is what his statement in the article is hinting at. Plainly a long run on in the middle of the Helmand desert wasn't a great option, hence the crew's thought process.

One of the great things I always found with Apache training is the idea that there are different ways to achieve the same outcome with all the systems - this tends to imbue in pilots the concept of, "It's a toolbox, you use whichever tools necessary to get the desired result."