PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs for pilots with a 2nd class medical with night flying restriction?
Old 2nd Jun 2016, 21:46
Geosync

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well there is skydiving pilot and banner towing, which are done during the day. Also pipeline patrol is done during the day. Any type of part 135/91(charter, corporate) will probably require you to be able to fly at night. So, yes this is very limiting, but there are few options. You have to ask yourself if it is worth it to go through training for these types of positions. Can you live off of it? Are you willing to do it part-time for fun? Some guys do pipeline patrol in little Citabrias for a living, but the pay is pretty low.

KCSI Aerial Patrol

Rotor wing does offer a lot of day flying, but is insanely expensive to learn. Maybe ask this specific question on the rotorwing forum here. If I was in your place, I'd get my single engine commerical and do one of these jobs on the side, while starting a career in something else in aviation/aerospace. That way, I can be in the industry still, and my flying can count for something since many non flying aviation careers value pilot knowledge.

But if you don't want to accrue the expenses for such few flying options, I totally understand. Just know that there are many rewarding non-flying careers in aviation/aerospace. I've done several, and I'm still doing it.