PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 2nd Jun 2016, 19:32
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if in the UK the CAA has made any pronouncements;
Well, I would have known if I had read the thread a bit more carefully.

The CAA said;

2 Compliance/Action to be Taken

2.1 The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), in exercise of its powers under article 15 of the Air Navigation Order 2009, directs operators of any Airbus Helicopters EC225LP or AS332L2 helicopter which is:

a) registered in the United Kingdom; or

b) flying in the United Kingdom or in the neighbourhood of an offshore location.

to comply with the requirements set out in paragraph 2.2.

2.2 Operators and pilots must not conduct any flight with an Airbus Helicopters EC225LP or AS332L2 helicopter.
(a) and (b), and 2.2 seem to me to prohibit all UK-registered aircraft of the types listed, regardless of their role, from being flown anywhere, as well as prohibiting flights by non-UK aircraft of those types in UK airspace. So it's only the military who can keep flying, if indeed they have any.

So, the answer to Helicrazi is yes, SAR is banned, or would be if there were any operators with these helicopters.

And to the second question, the CAA bans both, and (partly because of that) I suspect the EASA AD is simply sloppy drafting, as per everything else EASA produces. But there may be a good reason, I wouldn't know.