PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 2nd Jun 2016, 18:30
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The AD (Emergency Airworthiness Directive AD No.: 2016-0104-E) landed in my Inbox just now.

The grounding of the AS 332 L2 and EC 225 LP helicopter fleet is because;

a second preliminary report from the investigation board indicated metallurgical findings of fatigue and surface degradation in the outer race of a second stage planet gear of the MGB epi-cyclic module. At this time, it cannot be determined if this is a contributing causal factor or subsequent failure from another initiating factor.
but

Pursuant to Art.1 (2) (a) of Regulation (EC) 2016/2008, the requirement of paragraph (1) of this AD does not apply to EC 225 LP helicopters while carrying out military, customs, police, search and rescue, firefighting, coastguard or similar activities or services.
Now Article 1.2 of EC 216/2008 (pity about the '2016' typo in the AD; is the omission of AS 332 L2 just the same sloppiness? I wouldn't know) says;

This Regulation shall not apply when products, parts, appliances, personnel and organisations referred to in paragraph 1 are engaged in military, customs, police, or similar services. The Member States shall undertake to ensure that such services have due regard as far as practicable to the objectives of this Regulation.
which explains the exclusion, but it seems to me that this Article is badly thought out. Apart from military, most of the other categories are operated commercially in some if not all EU States, and should, I would have thought, be grounded just like other operators, for exactly the same reason, danger to crew, passengers and the population beneath them.

I don't know if in the UK the CAA has made any pronouncements; perhaps they have or will do so to fulfil their responsibility under that Article. Maybe each State will do that; maybe they'll even co-ordinate their response.

Last edited by Capot; 2nd Jun 2016 at 18:42.