PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Helena Service
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2016, 13:18
mathy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHBM quite so. But in accordance with the downwind range treaty signed between the UK and the US the rights to use Wideawake are partitioned thus:- rights to the runway built by the US, strengthened by the US for use by NASA and administered by USAF Patrick AFB; all other rights for the RAF i.e. basically the pan and fuel pipeline, that is all; all else in the civil register, well in emergency under the Alan Mulally agreement [eg flight DAL201] nothing to be unreasonably withheld. I am afraid that the USAF has the last say when it come to flights. If you want clarity please ring ++247 3315 Ascension Ops and they will be happy to explain. Wideawake has always been a US aerodrome and the RAF is welcome as a lodger unit and shares certain duties but the runway is owned by Uncle Sam. I always used to welcome RAF personnel with a reminder of why seat places on trooping flights are limited to 185 pax - that is the capacity of the "Chapel of Rest" which is that wriggly tin hut down by Long Beach, nothing to do with St Mary's Church. It is the freezer. And on that cheerful note and always happy to serve with very happy memories of my time at ASI 1999-2002, especially under Maj Jeff Lowdermilk.

Last edited by mathy; 2nd Jun 2016 at 13:20. Reason: keyboard sticking