PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preventing the loss of pure flying skills in jet transport aircraft.
Old 2nd Jun 2016, 12:03
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"That which has never been possessed can't be lost."

Are you advocating that it is not necessary for airline pilots to have such skills? And therefore they should not be part of the training program in the transition from spam-cans to jet powered aluminium tubes? Surely any pilot in whom others trust should have pure flying skills to a minimum degree. That does not mean rock & roll inverted flight etc., but pure flying skills related to their application.
Tongue in cheek, if you wish.
Hi Rat.

The comment was not a position on the desirability of such skills (which ought to be self evident, but until some bean counter gets indicted for corporate manslaughter.....).

These days I spend most of my time doing MCC and JOC courses; bridging the gap between licence issue and first type rating. Although I ought to be used to it by now I continue to be dismayed by how few of the students can actually fly. Inability to set an attitude. Inability to trim. Non existent scan, especially of heading and speed. Inability to figure out which hand controls what for various phases of flight. Honestly I have NO IDEA how 70% of these people have passed an IR.

I don't blame the students. As an industry (and with the regulators also guilty by omission of action) we have completely messed up the flying training process.

pb