PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AH-64 Tail Rotor Loss Article
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2016, 12:00
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Arm out the window
Quick question if anyone knows the answer - as I read it, the pilot in the article discusses how he didn't do an auto as per the standard training, but used a technique he'd developed by practicing in the sim until he could achieve a safe landing some of the time.

There's mention of not wanting to land at high speed (great idea); he also talks about getting the engines off (or to idle?) and achieving an autorotational state, taking control of the aircraft and landing safely as per this personal technique.

I assume what he's talking about is getting most of the forward speed off in a flare, then cushioning on as you normally would in a smaller helicopter, or at least running on with low forward speed. He doesn't go into detail about this part - does anyone know what happened in the actual flare / touchdown phase?

Following on from that, is the taught technique to run on at high speed (as might be appropriate onto a runway, for example, but obviously not out in the sticks)?
About 20 years ago, when I was getting Blackhawk training in the sim, the auto technique the old warrant officer taught to me included run on/fwd speed rather than any attempt to stop on a spot. I can try to find my old -10 and see what the paramaters were per standards: my brain recalls 20-25 knots A/S but I may be recalling a different number. (Will edit if I can find that reference).