PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Renewing a long expired UK PPL(A)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2016, 11:59
dobbin1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomahawk53
My UK PPL(A) expired in about 1991 after I had done around 100 hours. Having retired and now at the tender age of 62 I am considering getting back in the air. I have been encouraged to do this by the impending changes to medical requirements which look far less onerous. Before I spend a lot of time looking into this does anyone have recent experience of the steps they had to go through to renew their licence? My assumption at the moment is I would have to start again from scratch but it would be nice to think that my previous 100 hours counted for something. All thoughts gratefully received.
The previous hours all count. You need to go to your local flying school and fly with an instructor. They will evaluate your personal training requirements and design a tailored training course for you. In my experience most people only need a few hours to recover their skills and fill in any gaps. Once the training is complete, the instructor will write up a course completion certificate and then you will do a proficiency check with an examiner.