PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vale Billy Vincent
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2016, 11:12
pithblot

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
skridlov,
I'm very sorry for the offence I caused you. I didn't mean to imply that you were a bunch of indolent hippies. In general West Coasters are a hardy, hard working resoursful lot, including those who I flew to and from Balfor, all of whom showed me kindness and grace as I found my feet. There were also a group of hippy types, not indolent, and just as hardy, hard working and resourceful as the more conservative West Coast straight shooters.
pithblot.

I recon the couple 'living in splendid isolation' would be Commander John and Elenor Alliston. They were quite an eccentric and charming couple who raised a family on Three Hummock Island after John retired from the RAN. Bill relates a story (I think in the book) of supply runs for the Allistons involving dropping mail at the homestead to save a landing. On one occasion he also dropped some groceries with the mail, which missed the target and hit the roof. No big deal normally, except the groceries contained one frozen chicken...which made a chicken sized hole in the roof

There was a book written about Commander Alliston and his time in the Royal Australian Navy. I'm not sure if it's autobiographical. I think the title is Destroyer Man.

Bill also told me that while on the island Mrs Alliston used to write Mills & Boone romances under the pen name Minka Jones....

Last edited by pithblot; 2nd Jun 2016 at 11:34.