PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - May 31st
Thread: May 31st
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2016, 08:27
quadspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have two issues with that statement.

Firstly, people are leaving, maybe not in droves, but they are leaving. Some young guys are finding other places to go, greener or not; and older guys are leaving before their retirement age. That alone should be sending the willies up the mangement (sic).
You're absolutely right that some people are leaving. But not enough are leaving to cause any concern for the company. In fact, getting rid of older guys is a bonus for the company as their replacement only cost a fraction of what the old boys were getting. Licenced. Rated. Insured. No visuals, no circling, no problems.

Secondly, I know of at least 5 recently retired Air Force pilots - who would have in the past made CX a natural first choice - have all chosen to go other airlines. A couple to Tiger (2 weeks off for Reserve duties every month) and the others to China Southern. 4 crew to Aus and more money.
Yes, but the Company doesn't want expensive retired Air Force pilots. They bring competence, knowledge and skill; attributes this company has no desire to pay for nor retain. Jolly Good they say.

So I guess people NOT joining can have the same effect as people leaving.
The day the Company can no longer hire wannabes off the street is the day they've got a problem. Expats are no longer wanted; they're expensive troublemakers who try to import western ideas of labour protection and democracy to a place heading in a very different direction.