PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The morons on 121.5. Authorities please act!
Old 1st Jun 2016, 20:04
SATCOS WHIPPING BOY

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
An interesting thread one which I have read from start to finnish. I do apologise if this has been suggested earlier.

The problems:
1. Idiot pilots misusing 121.5.
2. Multiple Practice Pan / Training Fix calls.
3. Misuse of 121.5 by ground based idiots.

The worries:
1. Turning down or turning off 121.5 and missing an important call.
2. Missing a frequency change, running out of radio range and becoming an intercept target.

My suggested solution:
Have a system where civilian aircraft have an internationally used frequency on which they can only RECEIVE messages. The only agencies that can TRANSMIT on that frequency are ATC and Military Aircraft. Pilots monitor this frequency and do not need to monitor 121.5 - let the ATC units that have the need to, do that.

Problem 1 no longer a problem
Problem 2 no longer a problem
Problem 3 still there but as the misuse is ground-based it will be temporary and hopefully easily traceable if reported as a frequent occurrence.

If you happen to wander on in silence then you will eventually hear a call directed at you ( hopefully you can remember your callsign) and the gentle reminder that you need to be talking to someone on 118.5. You can then make that change and apologise profusely. Alternatively, you can wait till the Typhoon pitches up and talks to you a little more sternly suggesting 118.5 or over the North Sea is the place to be.

Surely this is not beyond our current capabilities.

Thoughts?