PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 1st Jun 2016, 14:05
Null Orifice

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
aa62,

What's in a name? Everything, if you have a memory like mine!
Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.
As for the number of frames generated - perhaps the 12 hour shifts played a significant role in this?

It was somewhat strange that, in those days, the powers-that-be saw fit to introduce the 12-on, 12-off shift pattern for exercises, heightened alert states, etc - but when we mooted the same time periods for our standard three-shift system on the LSSs it was ruled out for so-called 'safety reasons'.

Most of us groundies who were at Lyneham, post-48 Sqdn Changi period, enjoyed (for a while, anyway) the old-style Britannia shift system with a 23-day cycle that commenced on a Wednesday:7 x 12 hour days on shift, including the weekend, then 6 days off!!, followed by 5 x 12 hour nights, then 4 days off. Weekends were covered by splitting the 7-day shift, with a smaller party covering the 'swing' shift overnight Sat & Sunday.

Not always a bed of roses, however. During the 6-off, some of us were 'duty spanner' in case some of the flyers fancied some pool time and went u/s down route. I clocked up many frequent flyer miles that way, although British Airways refused to accept my (mainly, Herc, VC10,Brit) vouchers