PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preventing the loss of pure flying skills in jet transport aircraft.
Old 1st Jun 2016, 10:43
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uplinker: this would only be necessary for those airlines that discourage proper pilot orientated visual approaches. Flying a raw data ILS in severe clear should be a given. In an earlier life it was most common to have the airfield in sight passing FL100 and, no matter which runway was in use, to fly manually to an efficient finals and if you spooled up before 1500' it was beer time. That was before all the new bells & whistles avionics. i.e. pilot judgement.
Now ATC requirements often prevent short cuts, and local noise enforcers do not allow you onto the GP below platform height, rarely not less than 2000'. No matter, it is a manual CDA exercise and needs constant adjustment to achieve it. There are still places where you can appear overhead at 5000' and make a CDA to either runway direction. Great fun, until the damp blanket brigade decreed that finals must be established not less than 4nm or OM, and a wpt must be inserted in the magic box to ensure compliance. OMG.
If all that was done via automatics, and only the final 4nm was manual flight on a good day, where's the skill developing benefit? It needs to be the whole profile from 20nm out to a CDA. That should be basic line flying.
It's all an attitude thing. Its defence is always safety and economics. It avoids unstable approaches and reduces GA's. So there you have it. But let's publish the performances of those airlines who encourage manual flight and those who don't and see if there is any truth in that perception.