PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Defence Force!! - You must be joking!! - Discuss....
Old 1st Jun 2016, 08:09
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
CM
From your ID details, you have obviously invested in the future of the EU in a very personal way and if the referendum (in which you may or may not have a vote, I've no idea) goes for Brexit there would no doubt be greater costs to you and your loved ones than for me. I'm sorry about that but I still have a right to my views and in any case I suspect that no such scenario is likely.

The leave campaign has been hijacked by the Conservative leadership battle and the so called facts fielded by both sides border on the bizarre. Johnston is no more anti EU than Cameron is pro, but it is an easy vehicle for their respective purposes.

Farage is different. He really believes what he says. He is the reason that we are having a referendum. He is the one who pointed at the newly appointed President of the European Parliament, Mr Rompuy, and demanded "Who are you? I've never heard of you!". Poor form of course, bloody rude, and he was fined for it, but it made the point of the undemocratic nature of EU institutions and appointments.

So, to your point that I am comparing the MO of the EU to that of the USSR. No, of course I am not. The whole point of the agenda from the outset was to use stealth and deceit rather than the brute force of past efforts to "unify" Europe. You may be happy with such methods. I am not. As you say, each state presently has the right to leave. Given the obdurate way that reform is rejected, and ever closer union has the aura of holy writ, I think that the UK should take the opportunity to do so now.

When does an ever closer union reach its zenith? Logic suggests that would indeed be as the USE. Yes, sovereignty would have to be ceded by the states (contrary to the USA case, thank you Herod). Would they do so? Under certain political situations, perceived external threats, inspiring leadership, some might. Never say never! All I say is that the very direction of travel is disturbing and I want none of it. I reiterate that IF a USE happened all bets are off and, given the precedents of the USA and the USSR, civil war could follow. A lot of ifs but a lot of the agenda has already been gained against the odds. Do not underestimate the perseverance of the believers!

As to the EDF, who or what would that owe allegiance to? Those who served in it would presumably be prepared to fight and die if necessary. Other than for each other, who would that be for? Just asking...

Thanks for the advice PN. My stumps have seemingly been pulled once by the mods already. You have a point, looking around the field and at the score!