PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 years later The Mildura report
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2016, 04:17
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
So, my reading is. Pilots: OK. ATC: OK rules & procedures: big question mark. Infrastructure: big question mark. BOM: question mark.
I'm with OldAkro as per above.
What interests me is the seeming reluctance to let an incident report go by without at least having a little stab at the pilots. These guys were handed at least three weather reports/ forecasts that were wrong. They made decisions based on information that they are actively encouraged to base their decisions on and when it became apparent to them that the Adelaide forecast was wrong, they had two choices;
A) Auto-land below minima at YPAD even though they had fuel for a 'suitable airport' as per the latest observation at Mildura,or
B) Divert to the 'suitable airport' as per the regs and their own Airlines exposition.
They chose option B. Who wouldn't?
Then in the final report the ATSB suggests that a 'factor that increased risk' was that the crews based their divert decision on the observation rather than the TAF......well if the TAFs for the area are not doing the trick and fuel is getting to be a concern then an observation telling me a field is open seems like good current gen that shouldn't be ignored.