PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manual Flying Skills in the Middle- and Far-East
Old 31st May 2016, 22:02
jack schidt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Middle East has many pilots who flew before the glass cockpit concept came in AND are senior Captains today in their 50s. From my perspective in EK, there are many, very good operators/handlers with well above proficient hands on piloting skills. This is the same for most ME Operations I know of. Auto lands only happen in AWOPS.

Would I want a pilot to be proving to himself how good he is manually flying, not while my family (or yours) are on board. Simulators are the best devices to safely practice manual flying. However, IF the weather IS CAVOK and you are not on (or worried about busting) an RNAV SID, then by all means make good use of those RayBan shades and get some hands on time.

The safest approach is from 10 miles on the instruments as speed gates etc need to be met (safest strategy). I am not pushing loosing piloting skills, I am pushing safety through safest automation AND correct use of skills being used at the appropriate time.

Many in the ME are ex forces hands on guys, African Bush pilots etc, many would say the best Go Around is done by the A/Pilot. Safety is key and at the forefront of every passengers mind when they buy that ticket which of course partially pays your salary.

What I would like to end on is, this is the current case in the ME and around the world. The "follow the line" guys of the last 10 years may make this thread become more confirmed, regarding the thread title in the years ahead.