PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Defence Force!! - You must be joking!! - Discuss....
Old 31st May 2016, 20:47
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator
Where it differs is no common language and the Union military force is in embrio and the State forces are not under ultimate Union control.
The day that the the Guardia di Finanza shows up in Birmingham, Oslo, or Athens or Berlin to enforce EU law ... ... I'll believe some mythical United States of Europe exists.

I suppose my hang up is on how our own union was formed, and what we had in common that brought 13 bickering and competitive states/colonies into agreement (enough) on common cause. Even with that, the Constitution of 1789 was flawed enough that
New England had profound sympathies for the Brits in 1812, and the slavery and 3/5th's rule lay as a latent defect that raised its ugly head again and again before the break. While we didn't have 1400 years of on again and off again Imperial influence, and rebellion against it, our collation and temporary disunion was based on a narrow subset of the culture wars from that 1400 years ..... mostly of which was North of the Alps (and across that channel) based.

What comparable unifying outside influence is there which will drive one to three dozen nations into that position? Maybe I lack vision and imagination. I just don't see it.