PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2016, 19:30
NigG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny42C
NigG,

So the Squadron sent an aircraft up to Dum-Dum for the hooch. Prudent enquiry there would have revealed that there would be no imported genuine gin left (or at least none for sale), but that the Calcutta British firm of Carew's * made a drinkable substitute (and also a "Rosa" rum), available all over the subcontinent. All other locally produced spirits were to be avoided like the plague (including Lilliy's Gin !), only to be used (in place of unobtainable meths) to fire up pressure kerosene lamps and the like. They were lucky the stuff didn't kill anyone !

Don't know where they got any beer from, no "India Pale Ale" or the like came out from UK now of course. There was beer brewed at some Hill Stations ("Murree" was one) but the stuff wouldn't travel.

All in all, my introduction to 110 Squadron was a far more gentle affair, I'm happy to say !

Note *: Googled, still in business out there (now part of United Spirits Ltd).

Danny.
Ha! It's obvious you were an authority on matters of drink! Too bad you weren't on strength at 84. I think the incident occurred soon after the squadron moved from the West (Quetta) to the East of India (Vizagapatam). Since Quetta is in modern day Pakisthan, it can be imagined that there wasn't a lot of local hooch around... thus 84 would have arrived in the East with a measure of alcaholic ignorance. But yes, I know from my own experience of the region how lethal local brews can be... instant headache, desperate hangover!