PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Farnborough International - Viewing Resrictions
Old 31st May 2016, 11:21
Warmtoast

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Dockwell

while they do hold some quite exhilarating memories mostly people have got away with being somewhere they shouldn't and nothing untoward happening
I have very fond memories of air shows I attended in the 1950's - 60's, particularly memorable was the 1950 RAF Air Display at Farnborough which I attended that featured a scenario where Vampires fired live rockets from almost above the crowd to attack a strong point at the far end of the airfield - for an impressionable youngster very exciting!

As regards 'dangerous?' flying, have a look at these screen grabs from my 8mm cine film of Neville Browning inverted in his Zlin G-ASIM at a Battle of Britain display at Biggin Hill which I estimate I shot in the 1960's (I bought my cine camera in 1960).

Neville Browning in his Zlin Treiner approaches inverted

Passing overhead along the crowd line - my guess is that he is 20 - 30ft above the crowd!

Still inverted

Climbing away - still inverted

Apologies for the quality but 8mm cine-film screen grabs are no match when compared to still camera photos